Thursday 22 March 2012

Week 16 - How to hand in your CV to a shop

As you can probably tell, it's been a busy week. Our approach for this next task comes from the teachings of the all wise Neil Strauss and his book The Game. 


We swapped the stuffy workshop room for a local shopping centre. First, one candidate picks out a shop where they want to work. Then we send everyone else into the shop in 2's and 3's to loiter near the counter. A minute after, the candidate approaches the counter alone and makes conversation with a member of staff, attempting to see the store manager to ask about vacancies and hand in their CV. 


I did the first approach and let them pick which shop I'd go into.


Handing in a CV to Polarn O. Pyret (kids clothes)
Peter: Hi, how you doing?


Acting Manager: Very good. You?


Peter: I'm great! I was hoping I could talk to the store manager. 


Acting Manager: She won't be in until tomorrow. 


Peter: Ah bummer. I was just out shopping today and I really wanted to talk to her about working here...


Acting Manager: ...well I'm acting manager today.


Peter: Great! So you're the person I need to speak to. Are you guys hiring at the moment?


Acting Manager: We have a recruitment freeze at the moment, but it should be over soon. Do you want to hand in your CV?


Peter: I do, but I don't want it to end up in the middle of a massive pile of CVs. I'll give it to you if you swear you'll get whoevers in charge of recruitment to see it. 


Acting Manager: (smiling) I swear I will! We don't even normally take CVs, but I'll make an exception for you since you're so nice and polite and friendly.


Peter: Great! I love getting special treatment (hands over CV). Hope I hear from you soon! Bye and my names Peter by the way. 


Acting Manager: See you. Take care Peter!


She seemed genuine, so hopefully I wasn't deceived by her line about not usually taking CVs. 


After that, it was approach after approach for our Y2J candidates, with immediate feedback outside the shop afterwards. 


Bobby checking for vacancies in Nandos
Fokrul checking for vacancies in republic, with Anhar and Bobby strategically placed  to listen in and give feedback
Ruman checking for vacancies in Paperchase
Foot Asylum
In Foot Asylum...


1) Ruman goes in, hands in his CV and is told they will be recruiting next week.


2) Fokrul goes in, hand in his CV and is also told they will be recruiting next week. 



3) Bobby goes in...

Bobby: "I hear you're recruiting next week"



Store Manager: "How did you hear that?"



Bobby: "2 little birdies told me!"


She hands in her CV and leaves. 


Best approach I saw all day!

We debriefed at the end of the task and found that everyone was really pumped up after all these approaches. They had gone out of their comfort zones and found that it wasn't as bad as they imagined. 


They had simply built it up in their own heads. 


All have made a good start on their way to their 100 job applications. 



Sports Direct
The job interviews go so well on Monday that the deputy manager passes the next three on to the manager. 

On Wednesday the manager is so impressed, he passes it onto to the Area manager to interview them all next week. 

The deputy manager asked to hire one of our candidates on the day. Anhar quietly calmed her down and reminded her she has three more to see. 

Money 4 Life Winners
Our winners by a whopping margin (509 likes vs 216) was Bobby, Rahima and Rajina's group: 
If Money doesn't grow on Trees why do Banks have Branches?


http://www.facebook.com/pages/If-Money-Doesnt-Grow-On-Trees-Then-Why-Do-Banks-Have-Branches/291912810874406
They very graciously agreed to treat the whole group to an outing rather than spend the whole £400 prize on themselves. Should be such a fun day!





4 comments: